Dear WBUUC youth and parents,
As you know, this Saturday, March 24, people of all ages will be led by youth all across the country in a March For Our Lives against gun violence.
High School Youth from WBUUC have been invited to gather with UU Youth from churches across the Twin Cities at Unity Church-Unitarian in Saint Paul before the March begins. There, they will meet other youth and youth activists and have a snack.
We will arrange for rides for youth from Unity to Harriet Island with WBUUC chaperones.
Please note that the organizers of this march are urging adults and families to support, but not to take over the youth-driven aspect of this event; it is for that reason that we will be reserving passenger seats for youth only—adults and families with younger children are encouraged to gather at the Capitol or to join the march from along the route. You can learn more about the incredible youth-led efforts in the state of Minnesota HERE.
If your teen is hoping to participate, we need your RSVP no later than Friday night to ensure that we have enough seats for all who plan to participate. Drivers/ Chaperones should also complete the RSVP form.
I’ve included, below, details and agreements developed by our youth for this event:
- RSVP is required. Youth and Chaperones: Please complete the entire form HERE by Friday night
- Youth will meet at Unity church Unitarian in Saint Paul at 8:30am sharp.
- Parents, please be sure to check-in with WBUUC chaperones before you leave Unity.
- Youth need to “find a buddy” once they arrive at Unity and stick together throughout the March.
- Youth and Chaperones will exchange phone numbers for emergency purposes and honor the covenants around sharing contact information (see the RSVP form)
- Continuous supervision of youth by WBUUC chaperones or staff is not guaranteed throughout the march; please closely review the safety information on the RSVP form and talk with your youth about safe practices during marches and protests.
- Parents and adults who do not join us along the route can meet up with our group.
- Youth may leave from the Capitol with a parent; youth should notify WBUUC chaperones when they are leaving and with whom.